Anzac Day, once again makes me proud to be Australian

I can't believe another Anzac Day has rolled round ! This year, we decided to do something a bit different from the annual ritual of going to the Brisbane dawn service. We headed instead to the service at Bulimba Memorial Park.

The day started with a small parade down Oxford Street, past dignatories including local member, Kevin Rudd, and then a crowded gathering on the street outside Woolies and the park.

This service had much more of a community feel to it and was lovely under sunny blue skies and the rows of huge trees, planted in memory of local diggers who did not come home.

As always, I choked up when they played the Last Post - it gets me every single time I hear that piece of music.

We then hot-footed it into the city to catch the start of the Brisbane Anzac Day March. This is my fourth year of photographing the parade, and I can definitely pick repeat marchers out of the thousands of men and women who do it each year. It's always nice to see them marching proudly down Adelaide Street. There seemed to be bigger crowds than last year, which was also great to see!

I wish I could learn the stories of some of the people I photograph each year in the march. The look on their faces is one of steely determination and pride, and I would just love to hear about their journey.

Australian flags were waving madly today, and as always on Anzac Day, I'm reminded of how proud and lucky I am to live in this country.

There's a bunch more of my photos on my Flickr Photostream.

Hope you had a wonderful Anzac Day 2013, and lest we forget xx.



No comments:

Post a Comment