365 Challenge #283 - water play!


Yet another day in Brisvegas, and after a bout of shopping and a nanna nap, it was still pizzing down outside and cabin fever set in. I turned to Flickr for photographic inspiration. I knew I wanted to incorporate water into today's 365 Challenge - hell, there's enough of it around in Queensland at the moment.

What I love about Flickr, is that a whole bunch of photographers show their shots, then often share how they did it. I'd shot pictures using oil, water and food colouring before, but I did a simple search on "oil water" to see what ideas other photographers had come up with using these ingredients.

I came across a Flickr user called daitoZen, who had posted some awesome shots in the style I was looking to achieve, and then found that he'd also included a couple of photos of the camera and lighting setup he used to create the shots. Cool! It was pretty straight forward and then my own imagination kicked in as I tried various apertures, shutter speeds, flash strengths etc.

In terms of the technical details for these pics, I shot them all with my Canon EOS 5D II and the Tamron 90mm macro lens, with a flash/studio light fired remotely.

For the top picture, the settings were: f/5.6, 1/50 sec, ISO-100.


For this image, which reminds me of the universe, the settings were: f/13, 1/20 sec, ISO-100.


And for this image, where I changed the blue water to clear tap water, added more oil and put pieces of red paper under the glass bowl I was shooting into, the settings were: f/10, 1/40 sec, ISO-100.

Next time you're stuck for ideas about what to shoot indoors when the weather's up the creek (or when you're ankle deep in the creek - which is what Teneriffe will be id it don't stop raining soon....check out Flickr and you'll invariably find inspiration there!

No comments:

Post a Comment