Playing with f1.4 - because I can!

Sooo.....after much waiting, my sparkly new Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 lens arrived last week, and the weekend gave me the chance to put it through its paces. What a cracking lens!

Having never shot at f/1.4, I can definitely say it's going to get some getting used to. The manual focus isn't as much of a problem as I thought it might be - it's more of an issue getting the right things into focus at such shallow depth of field.

This series of images shows how the lens blurs the background, and creates bokeh at different apertures. I'm really impressed with the vibrant colours the lens captures. The first image shows my bungled attempt to get anything much into focus (I still like the colours), but the flowers in the foreground get sharper around the f/2 - f/4 range, and the background starts to come to life at around f/8.

Anyway, I'm loving the lens so far - more practice definitely required! And now it's time to get cracking on my 100 Strangers project :)

85mm @ f1.4
85mm @ f/2
85mm @ f/2.8

85mm @ f/4

85mm @ f/8

No comments:

Post a Comment