365 Challenge #231 - smelling the....lavender

I love macro photography! I love most forms of photography, but I really love close ups and the intricate detail you might otherwise miss in landscapes or even in every day shooting.

I shot this sprig of lavender this afternoon in the courtyard out the front of my place with aherm, a new lens - the Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di lens - which doubles both as a macro and portrait lens by all accounts.

It's a light little lens (light and little in comparison to my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L and 70-200mm f/2.8 L lenses). I've seen some awesome portraits come from this lens, and will put it through its paces over the next three days of workshops, where we'll predominantly be doing portrait and studio work.

This is my first non-Canon lens - I've been stalking the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS macro lens for some time, but the Tamron lens is less than half the price, and gets pretty favorable reviews. Hell, I can always upgrade if I need to at some point in the future.

It's also my first prime lens - that is, fixed length lens. Good grief, I'll have to actually move into position to take shots. I've yet to pick up the smoke machine, but it's on the list. In the mean time, I'm off to find some bugs and water drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment